i3 Breather by L3 Harris
L3Harris Management committed a team…to the DIY Hack-a-Vent program. Despite the [current] challenges, these engineers executed a modified 5-Day Sprint process with generous advisory consultation from five doctors and several community volunteers to rapidly develop the designs described [in Vulcan scout card]. As a brief overview, our i3 Breather solution, has prioritized the following design principles:
- Flexibility: individual subsystems or components can be modified/ improved/ supplemented in a modular approach and will interoperate with other sub-systems
- Availability of Parts: attempts to use parts which are readily accessible or easily built/modified and avoids using typical medical parts such as AMBU bags.
- Simplicity: seeks a minimalist approach for both assembly and operational simplicity.
- Easy to use: Intuitive controls and precise adjustments of PIP, PEEP, RR, and I:E Ratio, all reported to the user
interface with Tv, RMV, and a respiratory circuit pressure graph. Simple instructions are easy to digest for healthcare professionals to quickly adapt.
- Calibrated Reliability: Water-based pressure control valves never lose calibration. BLU3 Vent’s design ensures reliable PIP and PEEP fail safe mechanisms, regardless of the amount of storage time prior to use.
- Assist Mode: Healthcare professionals may select Pressure Assist-Controlled mode for patients as they return to normal breathing habits. User interface displays a count of spontaneous inhalations detected.
- Real-Time Oxygen Table: Oxygen supply requirement to meet FiO2 goal is calculated and displayed on interface. Provides capability to operate effectively during times that medical oxygen sensors are not available.
|Device Controls:||LCD, PIP/PEEP Tube Height, RR Knob, I:E Input, Mode Select, Silence|
|Ventilation Modes:||PC, P-A/C|
|Breaths Per Minute:||0-40 (1BPM increment)|
|Tidal Volume:||150 – 1000 mL|
|PIP Range:||8-40 cmH2O|
|Supplemental Oxygen:||Low Flow (<15 LPM)|
|Dimensions:||19 x 13 x 25 inches|
|Electrical Input:||AC 110/220 V, 50/60 Hz|
|or 12V battery powered|
|PEEP Range:||5-25 cmH2O|
|Air Source:||Air Pump|